Annual Easter Art Show
BLAIRGOWRIE YACHT SQUADRON
2024 Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron Easter Art Show
29 March - 1 April
The Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron Easter Art Show is back, celebrating its fourteenth year in 2024. A highlight in the local community’s calendar, the BYS Easter Art Show runs over the Easter long weekend and is proudly supported by Belle Property, Blairgowrie. The show raises funds for the BYS rescue boat fleet which is used to support junior, community and disabled sailing programs and has gone from strength to strength since it began in 2010.
The ongoing success of the Easter Art Show is largely due to the diversity and quality of works on display which is refreshed each year. Artists from Melbourne, the Mornington and Bellarine Peninsula’s, by invitation only, have their works exhibited showcasing a broad range of artistic works from a variety of media. Feature artists this year are Janis Taber and Susan Oppy, who will be joined by returning and new artists including indoor and outdoor sculptors. Outdoor sculpture takes pride and place on the deck and lawn which adds to the ambiance of the club.
Janis Taber began painting in acrylics 12 years ago and discovered inks with their vibrancy and endless possibilities. With a background in fashion, colour and design are vital elements. Her paintings have a joyous contemporary feel and we look forward to sharing Janis’ work with you all.
Suzanne Oppy emerged as a photographer during the 2021 Covid Lockdowns. Living within the permitted 5 km lockdown radius, she was close to both the ocean and bay beaches. Surrounded by stunning beauty, the natural surroundings enhanced and promoted a sense of well-being in challenging times. She has captured special moments that make her feel alive or make her stop and think and wonder. Her photos are literally a ‘Snapshot’ of those moments and we also look forward to presenting her work over Easter.
Prizes will be awarded in a number of categories including the coveted People’s Choice award.
The viewing of works are as follows;
From 6.30pm Friday 29 March Opening Night Function bookings here
10am–5pm Saturday 30 March – Sunday 31 March Tickets at the door, $5
10am–2pm Mon 1 April Tickets at the door, $5
Visitors to the art show are welcome to stay on at the yacht club and enjoy the BYS bistro and deck with stunning views of the bay, or just relax on the lawn or beach.
We look forward to welcoming you at the 2024 Easter Art Show!
Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron:
2900 Point Nepean Road, Blairgowrie
A brief history of the Easter Art Show
- The first Easter Art Show was held in the Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron’s old clubhouse in 2010, a joint initiative of Past Commodore Bruce Colliver (dec.) and Past Commodore Jenni Maclean.
- The first show largely works from local artist James Uhe.
- Artist prizes are awarded at each show and as the variety of media has increased over the years, so too has the number of awards to artists.
- During its history, over 8,000 people have visited the show.
- In 2017, both indoor and outdoor sculpture was introduced, which was very well received by BYS members and the community.
- In 2017, through the funds raised, the club purchased a new start boat, named “Bruce’ in honour of Past Commodore Bruce Colliver.
- In 2018 a new Patrol 7 which acts as both a start boat and rescue boat was purchased.
- In 2018, a People’s Choice Award was introduced and this has given art show visitors another opportunity for involvement in the art show.
- Well-regarded judges, including Mrs Noel Waite AO, John Bredl, Dr Wendy Garden and John Cunningham, have given credibility to the Best in Show and specific art media awards.